Friday, June 29, 2007

Review of Simplicity 4127

Pattern Description: Taken from envelope, “Misses’ Tops with Bodice and Hemline Variations.” Pattern Sizing : H5 (6-14) and P5 (12-20)

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, very much so, due to the use of eyelet fabric.

Were the instructions easy to follow? For the most part. The instructions weren’t bad, I just feel that they left out some information, nothing you can’t figure out with a bit of brain power.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? What drew me to this pattern was the style. In the summer I prefer to were tank tops and I also liked the idea of using eyelet fabric as it is currently “IN”. I chose this version of the top because I could make a top without having to hem it.

Fabric Used: I used a galloon-edged eyelet fabric purchased from Joann’s along with a 100% batiste (lining) also purchased for Joann’s.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I did not change the pattern at all, the only thing that I added was to line the entire top, the pattern just has you line the bodice, but I wanted some modesty around the stomach area as the fabric was quite see through. I also added an invisible zipper to this top as many of my rtw tops include invisible zippers.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I will probably not sew this version again because I really don’t need another eyelet top, but maybe another version sometime. I have so many other projects I want to work on first! I would recommend this top to other though. It didn’t take much time and turned out fine.

Conclusion Not bad as my first completed top (well I still haven’t finished puting in the hook and eye yet).

*****************************************************

During the construction of this top is when the Singer was driving me crazy. One day I worked on the top for 2 hours, I spent about 45 minutes of that fighting the sewing machine!

To Dawn: Yes Janome makes the new Kenmores, but I went ahead and purchased the Janome because I have a dealer very close by, so if I ever have any questions I can go over and ask!