Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The Bridesmaid Dress

Here in the land of Sew Ariane I have been asked to be a bridesmaid in an upcoming wedding scheduled for March. The bride let us choose our own dress, the only constraints were that it had to be black and knee length. So I decided that I would like to make my own! I basically have everything planned, along with the fabric, underlining, and lining.

Here is my inspiration dress~
Ok well I couldn't get this picture to show on here so I am sorry but you will have to click here to look at the Inspiration Dress!
Now here is the two patterns that I am planning to morph together to get this look.
New Look 6644 and 6589
On the 6644 I would like to take the top bodice part and then on the 6589 I would like to take fitted empire gored skirt and put these two together to make the dress.
For fabrics I am using Silk Dupioni underlined with Silk Organza and Lined with China Silk. Just to let you all know I DO plan to wear this dress MORE than ONCE. So over at patternreview.com I posted a question on how to pre-treat the silk dupioni. It can be seen here, if anyone has suggestions please let me know!
I also thought about entering this dress in PatternReviews RTW Knock-Off contest. I guess I will see how the muslin goes. Wish me luck!