Sunday, January 11, 2009

Baby Shower Gift

One of the projects that I really wanted to share with you was a baby shower gift that I made for one of my good friends. About this time a year ago my friend (her and her husband) found out that she was expecting a baby and I began thinking about making a gift for her. They didn’t know that I sew and I wasn’t sure how they would react to a handmade gift. I also wasn’t sure if they would appreciate all the time, work, and $$ that went into and I didn’t want to be disappointed. Anyway I went ahead and they loved it! They were very impressed and grateful.


Since I knew they were having a boy I wanted to pick a cool boy fabric, as I know the Dad would want to have a manly fabric choice as well. I also didn’t want any of the cutesy baby pastel fabric either. I wanted to use something more modern. So I chose Amy Butler’s Midwest Modern fabric with yellow, blues, and greens.

I decided to make some very easy burp clothes with fabric diapers. They used these all the time and I think they still do.

I also made some little baby booties from this pattern. They aren’t too difficult, but I don’t want to make these again anytime soon.

Then I really wanted to make something personal. So I chose to make a monogrammed onesie! They even used it to take baby home. For this I picked a “B” in word in a typefont I liked and could appliqué onto the front of the onesie. I used fusible web to adhere the fabric to the onesie and then satin stitched the outline. This is the first time that I had ever done something like this before so I thought it turned out pretty good if I do say so myself.

Here it is all put together. I thought the ribbon and tissue paper made it look like an expensive gift.
For more pictures take a look here.
Keep Sewing, Ariane